The City of Menton has long maintained a special relationship with Jean Cocteau.
Over the long period of time he spent on the French Riviera in the 50s, the artist often came to Menton. He created three works in the city, starting in 1957.
On the request of the Mayor of the period, Francis Palmero, he first painted the Salle des Mariages (wedding room), inaugurated on 22 March 1958. He also decorated the
Mayor’s office with a wall painting representing Orpheus in front of the Old City of Menton.
In one of his walks through the city, the poet discovered a small 17th century fort called the Bastion. There, he created a small museum which was inaugurated in April 1966, three years after his death. This site bears the hallmark of the artist who designed the restoration of the building, the decoration of its façade and floor (pebble mosaic) as well as the layout of his “Innamorati” and several other works